Friday 22 October 2010

Parents Evening

So this week we went to Matthew's Parents Eve. Lately he's seemed very fed up with school and a little detached so I told them so.

Turns out he's more like me than I'd realised (or perhaps just wasn't ready to admit to?) and while his academic levels are way above average, he can't get creative or use his imagination at all.

Really I should have worked this out sooner, I mean, he can never come up with a story when he's in trouble, his answer is always "I don't know" while Joe will tell you the aliens did it. Or the chickens. Or Matthew. Anyway, he is far too sensible in his thinking and we need to find ways to unlock his other side.

When we got home I suggested we write a silly story, taking it in turns to write a line or two, then passing it on. Whatever made me think this was a good idea with Andy around I don't know, but it certainly showed he takes after me and not his father! It worked, we wrote an entirely ridiculous story and Matthew promptly went off to write one all on his own. We have set ourselves a challenge of a story a day during the half-term break and will see where that gets us at school.

Stories to follow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment